Depression Counselling in Lincolnshire
What Is Depression?
Depression is the most common issue that people seek counselling for. It shows in different ways, but what is depression? And how can you begin to overcome the problems it causes?
Everyone has ups and downs. Sometimes you might feel a bit low, for lots of different reasons. People may say that they are feeling depressed when they are feeling down, but this does not always mean that they have depression. Depression is a long-lasting low mood disorder. It affects your ability to do everyday things, feel pleasure or take interest in activities.
- a mental illness that is recognised around the world
- common – it affects about one in ten of us
- something that anyone can get, and
Depression Is Not
- something you can ‘snap out’ of
- a sign of weakness
- something that everyone experiences, or
- something that lasts forever as one episode.
Doctors might describe depression as ‘mild’, ‘moderate’ or ‘severe’. Your doctor may offer you different treatments depending on how they describe it.
What Are The Symptoms?
There are several different symptoms that can signify depression. Some of the most common are:
- low mood
- feeling sad, irritable, or angry
- having less energy to do certain things
- losing interest or enjoyment in activities you used to enjoy
- loss of concentration
- becoming tired more easily
- disturbed sleep and losing your appetite
- feeling less good about yourself (loss of self-confidence)
- feeling guilty or worthless.
You may also find that with low mood you:
- feel less pleasure from things,
- feel more agitated,
- lose interest in sex,
- find your thoughts and movements slow down, and
- have thoughts of self-harm or suicide.
How Counselling Can Help You With Depression
A counsellor will listen to you without judging you.
They can help you explore your feelings, acknowledge them and accept them. They can also support you to find your own ways to cope with what you are going through – and suggest different strategies and self-care techniques.
Looking for Depression Counselling in Lincolnshire?
If you feel that counselling for depression is something that would benefit you, please do get in touch for a free assessment. We can assess your needs and find the best course of action for you.